Monday, January 30, 2012

Simple Ideas For Wall Art

A house isn't a home until something goes up on the walls. Needless to say, our house is still a house.  We actually have a lot of paintings since my husband's friend is an artist.  We were able to get some awesome pieces (before he made it big).  Our "new" house is bigger than the last one, however, and we've got a lot of walls to fill which got me thinking about how to be creative.  Art can be expensive, but it doesn't need to be.  I think there are a lot of ways to get great looking art without breaking the bank.  Here are some examples  that anyone could pull off.


Stamford Living Detail traditional living room

How cool is this?  They used ceramic tile as art.

Hawaii contemporary bedroom

Got shells?

Eclectic Modern Tudor Family Room eclectic dining room

Pieces of wood stained or painted and arranged on a wall.  Simple yet makes a statement.

The Penthouse by Ivy Style33/ Busy Bee contemporary living room

I love these framed scraps of wallpaper.  You could use scraps of anything really...wrapping paper, scrapbook paper or...


How about DVD covers?  Lisa from Trapped in North Jersey came up with this ingenious idea for her little boy's room.  Love this.

Guest Room eclectic bedroom


  Paint samples cut into triangles.  How do people come up with this stuff?  So creative.

Clear Creek Residence eclectic bedroom

Stenciling a canvas.  I'm not sure which I love more...the stencil or the furniture.

fletcherphotography eclectic bathroom

How about a nice collection of plates.  Pretty sure these plates weren't inexpensive though.  Also, is it weird to have plates in the bathroom? I guess if they're decorative rather than functional.  Just a thought.

Open living room modern living room

Fabric on canvas.  Great idea.

easy electic hall eclectic hall

Fabric covered pieces of wood.  I love these colors.

Montlake traditional home office

Framing maps as artwork.

Stairway Detail asian staircase

Twig art.  Ok, I think this one is probably a little more difficult than it looks.  Anyone want to try it?

Diasec modern media room

Kidding!  I think this is pretty cool looking though.

Laundry contemporary laundry room

How cute is this?

Lockettes Inspiring Home eclectic living room

I've seen this done before.  Love the fan.

wine cork art eclectic kitchen

Wine corks...sprayed gold?  That's a lot of wine!




What about a wall of mirrors?



Picture frame art anyone?

Or, how about buying a prestretched canvas and some paints and have at it.  Art can be whatever you want it to be.  Just have fun with it.

I have a feeling some of these ideas might find their way onto my walls. Do you have any favorites?     

6 comments:

  1. Love these ideas Tiffany! I think this is the first time I've seen framed paint chips that doesn't look kind of "cheap". Maybe because they're cut into triangles? I'm sure it's a lot harder than it looks to get them to look good, but I might try one day. I certainly have enough paint chips lying around.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the mention :-)

    I like the wall of plates over the toilet, although I agree that they do not appear to be inexpensive plates. I am contemplating doing the fabric wrapped over canvas for my dining room, but I donated the canvas I could have used. This always happens to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bottoms up! I actually find the shells quite elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely know what you mean. I could practically put together my own fan deck at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shells are really pretty aren't they? Some of the ideas are a little too modern for me, but they are very creative.

    ReplyDelete