Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Kitchen and Family Room Paint-Big Ol' Fail

So, how should I put this.  I hate the paint colors I chose.  I swear, I put up swatches and looked at it in different light before I committed to it.  But after it went up, the rooms looked so...depressing.  It was like a  big ol' bunch of blah.   I only put up one coat of the Chelsea Gray in the kitchen and painted a bit of the family room with the Revere Pewter.  Trust me.  That was enough.   Here it is during the day and at night. 





Night is the time when it looks particularly ugly.  It's almost like the kitchen color takes on a brownish green at night.  Definitely not the look I was going for. We don't have all the kitchen lights up yet which may make a difference.  During the day it's actually not bad.  On the positive side, it makes the cabinets look very crisp.  The Revere Pewter in the family room doesn't look good in any light. I didn't even bother taking pictures of it.  You'll have to trust me on this one.  I'm so bummed.  I've seen a lot of pictures of rooms with Revere Pewter on the walls and they all look beautiful.  I can't say I wasn't warned though (that one's for you Jules!)  The good news is that I think it may work in one of the bedrooms.  So, not a total waste of money.  Now I know where all my money goes.  Benjamin Moore (you whore). 

So it's back to the drawing board for both rooms.  You'll notice in the pics that we threw up a couple of other swatches...Coventry Gray (darker) and Stonington Gray.  The Stonington looks pinkish to us.  I like the Coventry, but my husband has vetoed my choices and wants Wickham Gray (no swatch).

 I've decided to appease him (this time) and bought a gallon.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

6 comments:

  1. I am still laughing over your Benjamin Moore comment!! We had our entire house painted in BM. Now, when I repaint for a change, I use something from Home Depot...and it's FINE! I feel your pain, nothing is worse than being unhappy with a space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-(

    I went through thirteen paint swatches in our living room in South Jersey, and repainted our powder room there four times before finding the right color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benjamin Moore gray paint is a fickle whore. I tried every color, and I mean EVERY color (you know how I am) in my living room, including Coventry and Stonington (I spit on both of you!)

    Try Garden Wall by Behr. It is a greenish gray technically, but you'd never know it in my home. I think you need a touch of the green to give it some depth and warmth. With grays, things can start to get bluey-purple real quick--and not in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I feel your pain. We painted the kitchen in our old house 4 times before we finally a color we liked. It is worth it to keep trying though, eventually you'll find something you love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has painted and repainted and then repainted some more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the grey. Give it a chance. Great news on the new, andn working, 1st floor head!

    ReplyDelete