Thursday, January 12, 2012

Options Part II-Wallpaper vs Stencils

After years of ripping down wallpaper I never thought I'd say this...but...I'm kinda digging wallpaper these days. I always knew I would be putting it in our powder room but there are so many choices.  I'm not a fan of choices as I'm quite indecisive (think I've mentioned that a time or two before).  I think the powder room is going black and white but that's all I know. So here's what I'm loving regardless of price, availability, or appropriateness for an 1893 home ( a girl can dream, right?).


via farrow-ball.com
Farrow & Ball's Lotus papers.  Love.

via flavorpaper.com
Flavor Paper's fun spin on a traditional wallpaper.  I'd have to get this in a custom colorway.  I always intended to use this but it's not cheap.

via  thibautdesign.com
Thibaut's Rio wallpaper.  I've actually seen this one in person.  It's quite lovely.


Osborne and Little
Not exactly black and white but a pretty Chinoiserie paper.


via grahamsandersoninteriors.com
I love Clarke and Clarke's Vogue wallpaper.  Very chic.

Or, if I really wanted to go budget I could stencil the walls.  I love these stencils, but again, not sure they'd work for my home.

via cuttingedgestencils.com

via etsy.com (olive leaf stencils)

via cuttingedgestencils.com
These three are fairly decent knock-offs of the originals don't you think?

via cuttingedgestencils.com
This one could work.  There are a ton of similar stencils to this one.  

So what do you think?  Wallpaper or stencils?  I'm kind of leaning towards one, but would be interested in opinions.  Wallpaper and hanging can be pricey, but stenciling will take some time...especially at the rate I'm going.   Working 4 days a week and having a 3 yr old doesn't leave me a ton of time to devote to the amount of projects that need to get done.  

9 comments:

  1. Hi...just found your blog. (i look forward to seeing more and following!) great post...it's a hard choice between the two because both can be fabulous. I do love the custom look and feel to stencils and you selected some beautiful ones from cuttingedge.. (also MUCH easier to change it up down the road) my vote-- if you have the time and patience go for a stencil. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allumer*decor has a good point about it being easier to change out later down the road...but you're pretty meticulous, Tiff. I can see you losing your mind getting everything perfect with a stencil. Wallpaper, on the other hand you can hire out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm really going to have to mull this over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was around this time last year that I struggled with a very similar scenario for my powder room. I considered stencils but couldn't find one I loved as much as the wallpaper I ended up choosing. Cost aside, I think it comes down to the look you want for your powder room. If you want a wide range of colors or an intricate pattern, wallpaper would be the way to go...but if you only want something simple, stenciling would be a great solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I just tell you how much I love your powder room! Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love wallpaper, but I vote for the stencil--easier to change, much cheaper. I did it in my mother in law's foyer last year. It took me about four or five hours to do a lot of small, chopped-up, weird space (an uneven octagon, basically). If you are doing a small box bathroom it probably won't take that long. Start at the top.

    See it here:
    http://trappedinnorthjersey.blogspot.com/2010/11/downstairs-foyer-stenciled.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I hate to disagree with most....I love the chinoiserie wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete