Friday, May 4, 2012

The Porch

Our porch is FINALLY (I can't emphasize the word finally enough!) getting worked on.  Our contractor had some personal issues recently that put our project on hold for way too long.  Now he's finally at it again.  Good thing, because It was really gettin' old climbing a ladder to go into the house!  I'm sorry to say that this is the last picture I have of the porch before it's very recent improvements but you can see the ladder and get the idea.


And here it is in it's current state.  Not quite done, but a definite improvement.


The stairs are temporary but they'll be the same size.  They're almost done with the decorative bits and then we still need railings and paint.  I still haven't decided on the exterior paint.  The exterior paint at the front of the house is not as fresh as I'd like so I'll probably do a light cream.


The porch ceiling will be a classic light blue shade.  I always wondered why porch ceilings in older houses were always blue until I read Carrie's post about it.  Some very interesting theories on the matter.  We're just going to go ahead and stick with the tradition.  Once the painting is done we'll have to figure out furniture.  We have a small set that we've had for a while which might have to suffice for now...what with budget constraints and all.  Here's some inspiration pictures for what I hope the porch will look like someday.



I love the idea of outdoor curtains.  Not sure the hubs would agree though.

Source: bit.ly via hannelore on Pinterest

The porch swing might be a little too big for our back porch, but our front porch (which we'll tackle in another 20 yrs) is ripe for one.


This is a dream porch.  Not going to work on ours, but just gorgeous!


This porch looks so cheery.  Makes me want a cold glass of lemonade and tea sandwiches. 

I'm so looking forward to actually hanging out on the porch, especially since summer is just around the corner.  Lately it feels like it's already arrived though!

11 comments:

  1. Your porch is looking gorgeous!!! Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking so good! It's a huge improvement. I plan on painting on our front porch ceiling pale blue too. It's definitely a classic thing. I'm going to go read Carries post about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking so nice! And I LOVE the idea of painting it blue! That will look gorgeous! :)

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog recently! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danylle @NanaMoonMay 4, 2012 at 8:56 AM

    Your porch is looking great! I cannot wait to see how you style it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out Tiffany. I love the blue ceiling tradition. Cheers to almost being finished with your porch. Now it is my turn :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. trappedinnorthjerseyMay 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM

    The second contractor had personal issues too?? Yikes. At least the porch is looking pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. MyCraftyHomeLifeMay 7, 2012 at 4:45 AM

    This is going to be gorgeous. I love that you put in square columns. A house is being built around the corner from me, and they put in those round ones...can I knock on the door and tell them that I think they made the wrong choice?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am having porch envy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Linda! And yes, go tell them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, can you believe our luck?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely vouch for porch curtains! We have them in ours and it's the only way we can enjoy the porch after 3 pm when the sun is setting. Otherwise it's too bright and hot. We have a screened-in, which helps protect them, but I just tie them up and place them off to one side when we're not using them. That keeps them clean and from billowing around too much.

    ReplyDelete