Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Is It Just Me Or Are Outdoor Fans Mostly Hideous?

So we're still working on the porch.  I bought paint over the weekend only to realize that they forgot to tint it...doh!  And of course they were closed on Sunday so I couldn't go back and therefore no painting got done.  Wah wah.  Instead we scoured the internet for an attractive outdoor fan only to find out that it's an oxymoron.  Ok, maybe that's a little harsh but, unless you want to pay an arm and a leg for one, the choices are meh.  
Unfortunately we really need one if I want to spend any time at all outdoors this summer.  There could be twenty people outside and only one mosquito and I'll be the only one who gets bit.  Repeatedly.  So annoying!  So needless to say, I need a strong draft to drive them away from my oh so fragrant skin.  Here are some fans I found that I don't hate. (Note: all images are via lampsplus.com except otherwise noted).


Right now this is the top contender.

This one is interesting.  A fan'delier.  Expensive.

via lightingdirect.com
I actually just found this one.  I like it.  May be a winner.



This one is ok for this type of fan, but definitely looks like it should be in a tropical location.


I like this one but it's a bit modern for our house.


 My husband loves this one.  I like it too, but it's another one that is just a bit too pricey for us right now.

So what do you think?  I don't have a choice.  We're definitely getting a fan.  Now we just have to choose the lesser of the evils.

8 comments:

  1. I like the first one or the last one. looks like they belong on a porch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the black one you just found. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessamie VincentMay 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM

    We just have a classic black ceiling fan on our porch. I looked at a TON of Southern & Coastal living magazines when I realized those are the fans most porches I loved had. We added a $10/15 light kit and called it a day! We love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MyCraftyHomeLifeMay 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM

    I'm not good at this. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like ceiling fans but find them necessary in certain spaces...like porches....if your woodwork is white I would go with a white one so it is the least invasive to the eye...and it will blend in with everything else...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The good ones are always so expensive. Have you thought about looking on CL for something that is great or maybe you could paint a different color? Just a thought.... good luck on your search!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the first one. I think you're right about ceiling fans in general, but I also admit to missing the one in our last house (master bedroom). I love the sound they make and it definitely meant we used our air conditioner less.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the lighting direct one. I think it best suits the style of your home. Good luck, this won't be an easy decision!

    ReplyDelete