Monday, February 20, 2012

My Nemesis...The Stencil

Ok, so I gathered up the energy to start on the stencil.  What a giant pain in the butt!!!!!!!!  I've stenciled before, but this stencil was NOT made to go around a corner and is giving me all sorts of problems.  Without further ado here's what I've done so far.


I ended up going with the Chinoiserie one.  I painted all the walls of the powder room, including the ceiling, BM Chelsea Gray.   You may remember that this is the paint I originally used (and hated) in the kitchen.  It seems to be working well in here and I had it on hand so it was a win-win.  I used a white semi-gloss for the stencil.  Because the walls are dark I had to do a few passes on the stencil each time for the right amount of coverage.  Pain in the butt #1. 




 As I got to the end of the wall where it turns I quickly realized that this stencil wasn't having it.  I'm going to have to cut it to do the other walls and possibly freehand (yikes!) a bit in the corners.  Pain in the butt #2.  The good news is that my husband loves it.  What?  I know, right?    I tried to get him to tell me why all of a sudden he liked it.  He couldn't explain it.  I guess I shouldn't push it.



This was a difficult picture to get, but here's the new light.  Just ignore the ladder, unfinished stencil, boarded window and orange stained door (which is getting a darker stain) and the room looks great.  Ha!

18 comments:

  1. I think it looks FANTASTIC!! I have worked with stencils before and they are a pain in the butt...but so worth it in the end if they come out like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Tiff. It looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Totally worth the effort! (Easy for me to say though, right???)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is totally worth the pain...love the wall color, and the stencil...fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks fabulous! I agree that going around corners is a pain in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are very talented and that stenciling looks amazing! Worth the pain! Oh, and I also love your kitchen tiling as well. You have a great eye for detail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is stunning. I am excited to hear that your husband loves it. Did you tell us where you got the stencil? I want one. The only stencil trick that I know is to lightly spray the back with adhesive and gently press it on the wall. I think this helps keep it in place. Just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got the stencil from The Stencil Library. This link will take you to the page where the chinoiserie stencils start (they have a lot). http://www.stencil-library.com/docs/cat292.htm
    Warning, they're not cheap. Cheap compared to wallpaper, but expensive for a stencil.
    I did use the repositioning adhesive, but the stencil won't bend in the corners adhesive or no adhesive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for both compliments:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much everybody for your comments. It's encouraging me to press on and finish the darn thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy@FiveKindsofHappyFebruary 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

    Wow I have never seen a stencil like that... ever. I love how it doesn't look like a stencil! awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gracious! That is absolutely gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can only imagine how much work its been but its looking really cool. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much Amy. It is unusual isn't it...in an awesome way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, it's been a pain...so much so that I haven't finished it. I do love it though. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning! The most beautiful powder room I've ever seen! Would you mind sharing where you got the pretty light fixture? Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete