Monday, November 7, 2011

Who Knew?

Well I finished my oil painting class and here's my most recent painting.



I have to pat myself on the back just a little bit here so bear with me.  I took this class after my friend begged me.  I had taken a pottery class last year and it was an epic fail.  It definitely was not the Demi Moore in Ghost experience that I was hoping for.  The clay was not soft and squishy like I imagined and it was really a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.  I'd given up on having any artistic ability, especially after remembering the abysmal things I "created" in high school art class.  So I reluctantly signed up for the oil painting class.  The teacher's style was very free.  Translation, she gave no instruction whatsoever.  Normally I am a very think inside the box only type of person.  I'm  right-brained and am somewhat rigid in my thinking.  Things have to be just so which really doesn't lend itself to letting the creative juices flow.  Normally I would run the other way in this type of class.  No instructions!  Well what do I do?  Cannot compute, cannot compute (steam coming out of my ears).  I think since I've gone through so much in the past few months that this freedom was actually welcome.  I didn't have to think.  I really didn't care if I didn't know what I was doing.  I was just going to enjoy it no matter what.  And then it happened.  I painted this from a picture in a magazine.  Is it perfect?  No.  But I'm pretty damn proud of the way it turned out. 


 So now my "masterpiece" is providing the pop of color needed for our stark carriage house bathroom.  I don't know if it will stay here but for now it's great.  Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment