Thursday, April 17, 2014

One Room Challenge-Week Three


It was a very busy week for us and a cubic butt load of things got done so let's get right to it.





Boo-ya!  Carpet and wallpaper-Bam!  And the light as well-Double Bam!  Ok, now about that snafu.  Someone didn't measure correctly and didn't buy enough wallpaper to cover the whole room.  That same someone didn't realize that this wallpaper was discontinued 1YEAR AGO.  No wonder it was such a steal on Ebay!  The real pisser is that there was another seller of the wallpaper at the same time so I would have had enough had I bought from that seller as well but I didn't realize my mistake until it was too late.  Wah-wah.  I've searched from the mountains to the oceans and into other galaxies and I can't find anymore of it.  Soooo, we now have an accent wall where the fireplace will go.  Not the end of the world really.   You know what they say, "when life gives you lemons...you say f-you and then move on".  That's what I was taught anyway.


Oh yes, also got to the window benches.  Very simple DIY to upholster those. Just took my fabric, batting, foam and stapled it to a piece of MDF.  And I bought some cheap roller shades from Lowe's and snazzed them up with some ribbon...and then promptly ran out of ribbon so I could only do one.  Typical.



And here is what it looks like closed (oops, didn't close it all the way.  You get the idea). I followed this tutorial  which was ridiculously simple.  The windows may be getting a little cornice treatment or maybe not.  I haven't made up my mind yet.


Got my cutting for approval for the headboard fabric.  Hells yeah!!!  Not feeling as enthusiastic about upholstering them myself though.


And bedding-check.

So here's what's left to do:
-Crown molding, new baseboards and shoe molding
-Window benches under both windows/ upholstery
-Window treatments (1 more)
-Carpet
-Light fixture/ table lamps
-Wallpaper (slight snafu with that which I'll talk about later)
-Upholster the headboard (and find bed frame and mattresses and bedding)
-Nightstands makeover
-Make pillow covers
-Art/decor/knobs
-Fireplace 

I found some nightstands on craigslist that are getting a makeover and still might have something planned for the windows besides what's been done.  I also need a bed frame and mattresses and some art etc.  That's what I was forgetting on my original list!  I knew I was forgetting something.  Oh and the fireplace.  Ok, I'm getting a bit nervous.  I still have a fair bit of work to do so I'm signing off.  Make sure you check on the ORCers and the linking participants!

36 comments:

  1. That's right...f it and move on :) My projects always go this way- keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. The fireplace accent wall will look fine. I love the widow seats too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great! Fireplace wall will look just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhh, getting soooooooooooo excited!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Story of my life :D I think it's going to be even better with the accidental accent wall! I'm getting excited, it's looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, stunning! I love the wallpaper and custom window benches and roller shades! can you come over to my house and help me! If only I knew how to sew I might be able to pull this off! I hate when you have your heart on something and it doesn't turn out that way. But honestly, I really like the accent wall! Way to stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also fell in love with a discontinued wallpaper. I contacted York, the manufacturer, and they found the name of the company they sell their discontinued stock to -- turns out they had more than enough for me to do my powder room. Score!!! Anyhooo, you might give that a try -- call the manuf and see if they can tell you where their discontinued stuff goes . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that, but thanks so much. I think it's going to turn out to be a happy accident:)

      Delete
  8. Ha Ha....that is so something I would do. I am always in a hurry.....but I am sure it will be fine! Love the roller shade idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooooh i love it! that wallpaper- LOVE! and you know how i feel about blue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the greek key window shades. The wallpaper looks awesome too! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you kidding me? Don't be a show off with all you get done in various rooms week to week lady. Between this room and the yellow room you are totally blowing my mind. I'm going to brew a very strong pot of midday coffee so I can up my game. Seriously Tiffany, the wallpaper, shade(s) and window seats look CRAZY amazing. The fabric for the headboard - yes yes yes! I already can't wait for next week's edition!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa! It looks amazing. Amazing amazing. And the window shades! LOVE THEM.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you've got a lot done this week! Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have gotten LOTS done!! You'll make magic with the fireplace wall, you have great vision. Everything looks like it's coming together so beautifully. Can't wait to see next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That wallpaper is STUNNING (the light fixture too - heck, all of it!). Personally I think it is a lucky break that you ran out before doing the fireplace wall. It will provide a nice plain background to mantel items. Don't worry about the rest of the list, you've got this! Ha ha, easy for me to say! I cannot wait to see it next week now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL!! Love that new lesson about lemons. The wallpaper is kickass, but I'm sure the snafu will prove to be a blessing in disguise. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You have been so busy! Looks fabulous.... So fun cheering everyone on in this ORC :)
    Kendra @ www.joyinourhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You totally could have played off the shortage of wallpaper as intentional. I'm beyond jealous of what you accomplished this week. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You make it seem so easy! Wow! I am beyond impressed...I love the wallpaper - I love all of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I laughed out loud. Dang that someone! This is BEAUTIFUL! And the accent wall was a brilliant plan ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking good! Have you thought about painting the fireplace wall navy? Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did, but I kind of want things to say light and bright.

      Delete
  22. it's so bright and beautiful in here! I love that wallpaper! and the shades are gorgeous. What a wonderful transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness!!! That wallpaper is divine!! And I actually think the accent wall will look fantastic... even better than if you had enough wallpaper. Have you considered painting it navy? Love the pendant, shades, and blue and white porcelain hiding in the closet. This room is going to be GORGEOUS!!

    XOXO,
    The Glam Pad

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your room is looking great! You've accomplished so much, I love the wall paper, light fixture, carpet and the window shades, all your choices so far!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the wallpaper, bedding and ribbon shades! U sound like me with running out of stuff... Creative minds! :)
    I am trying something similar with my daughter's shades... but I got 2" ribbon so don't think I'll have room for the greek key detail. Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete