Thursday, March 25, 2021

The Latest On The Renovations

 It's been a while since I blogged about our house but, honestly, there hasn't been a whole lot to talk about...until now.  It's only taken a year + but the roof is finally done.  I remember the roofer saying that it would take 8 weeks.  Yah right.  Eight weeks plus 1 year.  In fairness, we can subtract about a month though since there was that little complication of a TREE FALLING ON OUR HOUSE!.  Lord help me I'm not making this up.



It literally fell right on top of the only section that had new slate.  But this was last April so all is well now and I can look back on it and say WTF! Still not over it. But it is done now and since the house is sealed drywall and new flooring went in. Hallelujah! It's finally starting to look like a home again. We did take advantage of the situation and change some of the layout of the house to make it more functional. I'll show some examples.


   

I had updated the foyer and living area but I can't find a picture of it. Before there was an entrance into the living room on the right or you could go straight through that opening and hit a wall and have to make a right and then go straight down a very narrow, dark hallway. Now when you come in the door you can see all the way to the back, and we made the openings into the living and dining rooms larger. In order to have it open to the back we had to move our back stairs.


Here's a view from the back to the front and you can see where the new back stairs went.  



The Powder room is getting a bit larger as well. Other things that changed are the layout of the kitchen, location of the butlers pantry and we are eliminating the second bathroom on the first floor since it really didn't make sense. I'll address all of that later.

Some other happenings...we did have another "ghost" issue in the house.  One of the workers was on the third floor wearing headphones. He felt "someone" grab his shoulder and pull him around but there was no one there.  It really freaked him out apparently, as would be totally normal.  I definitely have heard things in the house in the past which I just chalked up to an old house settling...at least that's what I told myself.  I'm not about to have a Scooby Doo moment where I go investigating what causes the noises. Nope. I just pretend that everything is normal and carry on. There was one night when I was in our room with the lights out and I heard footsteps coming into my room.  Sometimes our daughter would come in at night and try to sleep on one of the chairs in our room.  I definitely saw movement and spoke to her to tell her to go back to her room.  There was no response and eventually I got up but she wasn't there. I asked her about it in the morning and she said she hadn't gone in our room. I'm not really a believer in ghosts but I'm confident that I don't want to be proven wrong.  So we decided after the worker's experience to go ahead and burn some sage in the house and say a few prayers.  Since then there hasn't been anything to report so hopefully whatever was going on is no longer going to be a issue. So that's that for now.  They are starting some of the tiling as I write this so I'll have some updates about that in a few days. The goal is to work top down so the third floor will get done first. I can hardly wait.







No comments:

Post a Comment